Our mission statement is to give every student the opportunity to do their personal best, to make sure that every single student matters and gets the correct learning to enable them to achieve their personal best. Our goal is not only to give students the qualifications to achieve their goals for the future but also to equip them for a changing and increasingly competitive world. With this knowledge and experience of the newest operating system as well as the most up to date Microsoft Office programmes, students should leave Broadoak with a current, relevant and up to date knowledge of Computing which would give them a competitive edge when entering higher education and the job market.
Students can often be found at lunch time and after school in many of the Computing suites, completing coursework, doing homework in dedicated homework sessions or generally just using the computers for personal enjoyment. The Computing Faculty at Broadoak Mathematics and Computing College offers something for students from all levels of ability and years.
In Key Stage 3, the Computing faculty offers a full and varied range of lessons which mixes fundamental ICT skills as well as exciting and relevant computing skills such as computer game development, mobile app development and programming skills, both text based and visual. Computing lessons do not always involve going on the computer as the lesson requires planning and/or theory work to be completed – there are some lessons that students will not log on at all! We regularly use the Broadoak VLE to share resources and activities with students.
Computing Science at KS4
The OCR GCSE Computer Science course is designed to boost computing skills essential for the 21st century. Alongside the practical programming element which allows students to create their own software from the ground up, students will gain a wealth of often complex knowledge that will help them understand how computers function. They will learn how to write algorithms and think computationally. They will understand computer architecture and how internal hardware functions. They will understand the current threats posed to system security, such as malware and cyber-attacks. They will be able to explain the ethical, legal and environmental implications of computer science.
After gaining thorough knowledge of how to program throughout year 10, students complete their Controlled Assessment at the beginning of year 11, which accounts for 20% of their overall grade. At the end of year 11, students complete two examinations which are equally weighted, accounting for the remaining 80% of their grade.
Creative iMedia at KS4
The Cambridge National in Creative iMedia is a practical qualification that is widely recognised as an equivalent of a GCSE by Sixth form colleges, universities and employers. It is designed to give students’ not only a stimulating and practical insight into how different computing software is used in creative industries but also to develop real transferable skills to prepare the students for higher education and the world of work.
Students will have the opportunity to use a number of industry standard software packages whilst completing the coursework element of the Creative iMedia qualification. There is an interesting and varied mix of units to be studied which include: creating 2D and 3D digital characters, storytelling with a comic strip, creating a multipage website, creating digital animation, digital photography and digital sound sequences among others.
The aim of these units is to provide students with the practical creative skills required to work in a creative industry whilst understanding the importance or planning, designing and evaluating the individual products created.
Assessment – Cambridge National Creative iMedia
The course is made up of 75% coursework and 25% written examination. One of the four units will be assessed through a 1 hour 15 minute written examination. The remaining 75% will be completed through coursework portfolios and will be marked internally and moderated externally.
Meet the Team
|Mr R Schofield||Head of Computing and Business|
|Mr R Whitehead||Head of Computing|
|Mr C Jackson||Teacher of Business and Computing|