At Broadoak we recognise and embrace our role in safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Keeping Children Safe in Education (DfE September 2019) makes it clear that all staff have a safeguarding responsibility. As a College, we work proactively with social care, the police, health services and other services to promote the welfare of children and protect them from harm.
- Protecting children from maltreatment
- Preventing impairment of children’s health or development
- Ensuring that children are growing up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care
- Taking action to enable all children and young people to have the best outcome
Safeguarding includes child protection, medical health care plans, health and safety, site security, safety on school trips, anti-bullying work and so much more.
Working Together to Safeguard Children (DfE July 2019) requires all schools, including independent schools, academies, and free schools to follow the procedures for protecting children from abuse.
Our Child Protection lead staff are:
- Mr M Tipler (Assistant Principal, Designated Safeguarding Lead)
- Mrs J Downes (Year Leader, Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead)
- Mrs H Hambley (Assistant Head of Lower School, Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead)
- Ms C Back (Parent & Student Support Advisor, Early Help Lead)
Other key staff include:
- Mr M Dewhirst (Learning Mentor, LAC/Children adopted from Care)
- Mrs A Wintle (Learning Mentor)
The Designated Governor for Child Protection is Mrs B Frise.
In order to safeguard and promote the welfare of children, Broadoak acts in accordance with the following legislation and guidance:
- Keeping Children Safe in Education (DfE September 2019)
- Working Together to Safeguard Children (DfE July 2019)
- The Prevent duty -Departmental advice for schools and childcare providers (June 2015)
- Guidance for Safer Working Practices for Adults working with Children and Young People (October 2015)
If you are concerned about the safety or wellbeing of a child at Broadoak Academy please contact our safeguarding team at: [email protected]